1. How do I find the right Doctor?
Vasculitis can be a challenging disease to diagnose due to the fact that many of the symptoms associated with vasculitis can mimic other diseases. ANZVASC recommends initially visiting your General Practitioner or Family Physician. Ongoing symptoms may be referred to a specialist such as a Rheumatologist, Immunologist, Nephrologist, or Ear Nose and Throat specialist.
2. What questions should I ask at my first appointment with my specialist?
Not surprisingly, you may have many questions regarding your health. Once definitively diagnosed with vasculitis, it is suggested a list is made with your questions to ensure completeness. There are no right or wrong questions and your medical team are there to help. Questions may include:
- What is vasculitis?
- How common is the disease I have?
- What are the treatments available?
- Are there any side-effects to the medications?
- How long will I need to be on the medications?
- What is the prognosis?